Monday, July 6, 2015

Mixed Fabric Button Front Shirt

Sometime last March, I bought a fabric panel from Marcy Tilton. It is long sold out, but the panel was featured on one of her patterns, Vogue 9108:

I mixed that panel with a rayon batik I picked up at the Corvallis Fiber guild meeting I attended last May, and with two quilting fabrics that I purchased at Puyallup Sew Expo (a cotton batik and a Japanese cotton print).

I sewed this fabric Bouillabaisse into Butterick 5526, view C. I started with a size 18, as per my upper bust, and made a few changes:

  • Added a back yoke
  • Added a 1-1/2" bust dart
  • Removed flare from the hip
  • Narrowed shoulder seam by 1"
  • Shortened sleeves by 1"
  • Split the single cuff pattern to use two fabrics
  • Added extra interfacing, in a crescent shape, to the back collar, as per this article. (Thanks to Margy for bringing this technique to my attention!)
Reinforcing the under collar

Finished collar

I used 2 types of interfacings, both from Fashion Sewing Supply: a medium weight fusible tricot (front bands, cuffs, upper collar, and inner stand), and ProWOVEN Sew-in Lightly Crisp Interfacing (under collar and outer stand). The textured black buttons were from stash.
Cuffs in process

mem commented that my stand-up collar had vampire overtones. <ahem>

Thanks to mem for taking these photos! After this week, mem is leaving Google and tackling new challenges. I'll still see her, but she won't be so readily available. Thanks again, mem, and all the best in your new adventures!

Butterick 5526